Tuesday, September 22, 2009

First Stitches

My first stitches with my new Bernina 440QE have been made. The first thing I did when I unpacked the box was to figure out how to thread it and load the bobbin. I thought I was set so off I went. Something wasn't quite right and I managed to bend the needle and jam it.

I didn't take a picture of that.

I couldn't figure out how to get the needle out. I was just beyond myself at that point. And then I realized that Google was my friend. Google helped me figure it out and get going. As I needed to quilt my Go Green Shopper Bag I was working on, I went immediately to the BSR and hooked it up. I really like the BSR mode 1. So my first real sewing with my new machine was stippling with the BSR!
Next I had to sew on cotton belting for the bag handles. Even though I had several layers to sew through it was no problem with the patchwork foot. I was worried about this as I've never sewn through this many layers. No worries!
I trimmed everything up and this is where I'm at now. I have to sew the sides and bottom on which should be easy, it's one continuous piece. Then I'll have to cut and sew the binding on. I don't think I'll get that done before QuiltFest this weekend. I was going to use the bag to hold my quilting purchases before sending it on to my mom. With my schedule, I just don't think it is going to get done. One thing I hope to purchase is a good thimble. My fingers just can't handle sewing on binding without some protection. Any ideas on thimbles?
I wanted to post an updated photo of the progress on my black lace shawl but it was too dark by the time I got home and had dinner. I've knit about 25,000 stitches on it and it's about 25 - 35% complete. Not a quick knit but fun!

I can't wait to get the thread for my next stitching project. Of course, I haven't finished my first project but I'm not that far from being finished. I'm almost afraid to go ahead and finish it off without something in the wings to start immediately. Once I get my stash built up a little bit, I shouldn't have that problem anymore! Won't that be fun?!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your bag looks terrific! Thanks for the wonderful photos of your new machine in action. I like the golden clover leather thimble, the one with the metal coin in the pad. Have fun at QuiltFest!

QuiltSue said...

Woww, that's really great stitching you've done there. I love the bag.

Marie said...

Oh Jackie what a nice machine!! YOur doing well with the stippling with the BSR. I bought a Pfaff as my Dad was with me and he thought I needed it as it had all the bells and whistles he liked but I was really heading towards the Bernina, but he was 83 so excited to go shopping with me I couldn't break his little heart or I should say BIG heart as picked it out . for me that day.I do like it but I think yours is more user friendly. I know you will enjoy. Many hugs, Marie

Teresa said...

Congratulations on your new Bernina and looks like you are doing great with it. I have found the internet and google to be my best resource for all kinds of "problems" I encounter and wonder how I ever figured anything out without checking the net. I even found instructions on how to program the remote for my tv!

Susan said...

I know you are going to make lots and lots of wonderful quilts and projects with your new machine! Your bag looks great!

Betty said...

The bag looks really pretty and your stitching is great.

julia said...

Congrats on your new machine. You did it the right way by researching like you did.

Micki said...

Congrats with the new machine. You did such lovely stitching!
Micki

woolwoman said...

I know Quiltfest is a very exciting time for everyone around here - I've been but feel NO need to go this year. I agree about needing a stitching project waiting in the wings - we'll discuss that privately - I hope I get to see you friday and see the shawl progress in person. Enjoy! Mel

Candace said...

Fantastic work, Jackie! I have a lot of trouble finding a good thimble to fit my fingers - there are some new ones that are sort of a hard latex or rubber that I like in pastel colors. I'll email you with some more tips on your new Bernina!
Cheers!

Simone de Klerk said...

Wow, Jackie, your free motion quilting looks perfect. How long have you been practicing? You are a natural (is that how you say it?) Can't wait to see the progress of your black lace shawl.
Have lovely Friday (O:

Simone de Klerk said...

PS: love the thread you used for the qulting! xo

Sarah said...

Congratulations on the new sewing machine! I bought my 440QE in April of 2008 and I've loved it ever since. I've used the BSR foot loads of times and love it. The stitches are so smooth and it definitely makes my quilting look better! ;-) After trying to fit about a half dozen lap sized quilts under the machine I decided to get a mid-arm quilting frame/machine to do the quilts. Hopefully you'll enjoy your 440QE as much as I do.

Sarah

Pat said...

WOW...you sure did well with your first time at that machine. Keep up the good work!!!