Monday, September 7, 2009

Wonderful Weekend!

I had a fantastic weekend! There weren't any special plans but the extra day for Labor Day really gave me an opportunity to play! Saturday I had a class at my LQS to learn how to make a Go Green Shopper. The designer of the pattern, Jan Vaine, was the instructor. Here is what I started with. My least favorite part of quilting is cutting out the fabric. I used a turnover as I thought the cutting would be more accurate than my own. In the future, I'll cut my own! I wasn't impressed with the precision of the cutting.
The project involves lots of triangles! Jan was really patient and gave me tips for getting my points to match up. This is something that as a fairly inexperienced quilter I needed help with.

I also learned how to use the Bias Square template you can see peeking at the bottom of the picture above to properly square up my triangle blocks. It's a handy tool that I know I'll get a lot of use out of.
DSC00754
Here is Jan with some of the class members projects. This will be one side of the Go Green Shopper. You'll see mine in a later post. As you can tell, the look of the bags varied widely.
After I pieced the one side of my bag, I shared with Jan how frustrated I was with my points in the larger piece. She took some time and went over a pinning technique that I tried out Sunday at home on the other side of the bag and the bottom. It's still not perfect but I've been able to HUGELY improve! I was so excited I had to stop what I was doing and contact her via her website. I love to learn new things - especially when they really do work!!!

I spent Sunday just piddling around. I sewed for a bit. Cleaned the kitchen. Went to the gym. Read blogs for a bit and then knit a few rows. Did a bit of stitching and then went back to sewing. Read a bit of my book. Chatted with Greg and the kids as they came and went. Cooked the sides for dinner while Greg grilled. Did a bit more knitting, stitching, blog reading, book reading, etc. You get the idea. I felt like I had time for everything and it was fantastic!

Today I met my friend Teresa at Panera's and we sat and stitched while chatting for a couple of hours. She worked on a special project and I worked on my first official cross stitch on real linen. It was fun and I'm enjoying stitching just as much as I enjoy my other fiber interests. I can't wait to learn more!

Happy Stitching! Hope you had a wonderful weekend!

16 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the colors in your bag the best! I am glad you had such a fun and relaxing weekend. You also got a lot done. Congrats.

TeresaB said...

Enjoyed our stitching time today (and the soup I took home for dinner was a hit.)

I like the fabric you're using for you bag. Want to see IRL when it's finished.

QuiltSue said...

errmm, scuse me, but I thought you said you had trouble with getting your points to match? I can't see any evidence of that at all. Love the colours you chose too, they really looked good.

Unknown said...

i think your points all look right on.......can't wait to see the finished bag.

ranette said...

Jackie...sounds like you had a great weekend.
From the picture I can tell the quilt shop where you had your class looks wonderful.
I like your bag colors and you're doing a great job...can't wait to see it finished.
Don't you wish every weekend was 3 days long?!?!

Betty said...

I think the points look perfect. I bought some "fork"pins to help with lining up seams on rows and they have been really good for me. Thanks for the blogger link.

Pat said...

Your points look great to me, too. Maybe you can explain that bias square tool a bit more in a post someday?

Zlaty said...

I am glad you had a great weekend! Me too! :)

Are you gonna quilt the bag before you put it together?

I have to share with you that I started to knit and I am very excited. I will soon post about it.

Have a great week and your point are great!

Hugs,
Zlaty

Micki said...

I love your fabric choices. it is going to be a beautiful bag.
Micki

julia said...

It sounds like a wonderful weekend. Your piecing looks great to me. Where do the points not meet up like they are supposed to. I don't see it.

Jeannine said...

Wow! And you call *me* a machine? All I did was sit on my butt and knit! Love the bag, and your points are great! I'll be hitting you up for secrets at some point...

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

I also love your color choices. Looks like it will be a great bag!

Your points look great. I don't think anyone will get that close to your bag to notice anything you think is off. Plus, if they do...swing the bag at them lol.

Candace said...

Now that's my kind of weekend, Jackie! I love the fabrics you chose for your bag - can't wait to see it finished!
Cheers!

Karen said...

You are so blessed to have a LQS near by to take classes. I miss that so much. I am not willing to drive one hour though. Your points look great, I love learning new things too.

Glenna said...

I love the colors, and I think that points would be hard--I'm not all that precise, myself. I'm disappointed to hear that the pre-cuts aren't exact! Good for you for trying linen. It will get easier--you just have to get used to it--pretty soon your eyes will adjust to finding that second thread.

Simone de Klerk said...

I can see I have not visited you way too long. How wonderful to have such classes!