Friday, December 18, 2009

A Break from the Holiday Craziness

Today I took a break from work and a break from the holiday preparations. Instead, I went to my LQS and sewed. I packed enough projects to carry me through 2049. How many did I get to work on? Just one. I learned that I rot at stitching in the ditch. But that part is done. I sewed on the binding and at the very end I realized that I was sewing with too large of a seam allowance. I'll be picking that out next week. The good news is that I have a great chance of having a finished table runner for my 2010 Fall table!
I went from the quilt shop to my favorite yarn store. I had finished my Noni bag a few weeks ago and needed to sew on the strap. I did that. Then Randi discovered that I had hand sewn (with like 1,403,239 BLACK stitches) the handle to the BOTTOM of the bag. Unpicking that has been a nightmare, even with help (thanks Sharon!), and I think will take the amount of time to unpick it that took for the pyramids to be built. I am determined to get this done and the project felted by 2010.
You know, neither of those things spoiled my day! I had a great time and still feel like progress was made. What's an extra stitch or 2 in the grand scheme of things?

Stitching on Quakers and Quilts has been slow but still enjoyable. I'm thinking of starting another project soon. I'm not sure if that will be a restart to LHN Neighborhood or something completely new. The fabric won't be here for what I really wanted to start next. I know Kerrie is starting a new stitching project on Christmas Day and Melody (I think) is starting something on New Years. I had not heard of a tradition of starting a new project on a particular day each year. It's kind of interesting! I'd love to hear if you have a similar tradition!
I also need to figure out what to do with this lovely stuff that somehow found it's way home with me. 1120 yards of fingering weight yarn. Do I really need another big knitting project? Seriously?
I can already tell that my list of things I want to do during my last week of vacation is totally unrealistic.

I'm looking forward to every single minute of it!

18 comments:

valerie said...

It sounds like you're having a lot of fun with your projects! Great Progress on Q&Q. Love that yarn...the color is sumptious!

Barb said...

I a glad you are enjoying yourself even amid mistakes....great attitude. The purse looks wonderful.

Brigitte said...

Taking a break is always a good idea, isn't it. I love the fabrics you used for the table runner, they have great fall colours and motives.
Looking forward to seeing the little bag felted.

Simone de Klerk said...

Good for you, dear Jackie, to have taken time off for yourself and to be happy with the things you (did not get) got accomplished *LOL*. I loved the part: enough projects to carry me through 2049.
Have a great weekend!

Margaret said...

What a bummer about the quilt binding and the handle on the bag! But wow, enjoy your vacation! I know what you mean -- we always think we can get so much done and it ends up that we can only get about 1/100th of what we planned done. lol! Enjoy and have a wonderful holiday!

imquilternity said...

LOL! I can't stop laughing! Only because I've done those very same things. Don't we all? That is just part of sewing, quilting, knitting, etc. I'm glad it didn't ruin your day. I LOVE the new yarn....it's gorgeous...what a wonderful color.

Annie said...

Sorry you had to spend so much time un-doing what you had done. I just leave in the mistakes and call the work 'rustic'!

There must be a secret to stitch in the ditch but I haven't found it. That needle just begs to come out and go where it wants to.

Love that red yarn. Hope you find an appropriate project. It's too pretty to leave sitting around.

Anonymous said...

The red yarn is gorgeous! Whatever you decide to make will be beautiful. Your sampler is coming along nicely, love those colors together. I hope all those stitches come out easily for you.

Sharlotte said...

Love the quilt Jackie! Oh you poor poor thing. I know what it's like to pick out seems on a knitted project and it's absolutely worst when using black. I love that yarn! It looks almost exact to one from Plymouth that I am wanting. Wouldn't be Plymouth's Happy Feet would it? I love working with that brand. The Quakers and Quilts is going to be fab! I really like that pattern! Hope you have a wonderful Christmas!

FlourishingPalms said...

I love seeing the hopes of over-the-toppers, like you! I mean, too many projects, too little time, but with an optimist's can-do outlook on the impossible. Me too! all the best at finishing all you hope to finish!

Carol said...

I love seeing all of your various projects, Jackie!! In spite of making mistakes (and we all do), I still find needlework to be such an amazing stress reliever, don't you?

Merry Christmas--guess it won't be a white one in FL!

Marjo said...

Wow, you have made a bunch of progress on all your projects. I love the color of your yarn and can't wait to see the purse once felted. I am a new knitter and a purse is on my objective but first I have to get better at it. Love your cross stitch piece. i have that in my to do pile but not yet. Too many starts already. Love it all. Merry Christmas.

Bonnie said...

Yummy yarn. What will you make with it??? It is fabulous! B.

Susan said...

Thanks for sharing your great projects! I love the fall colors in the table runner. I'm also stitching Quakers and Quilts but only have a couple of letters done. Most of my stitching projects have been on hold this month while I finished some quilts and some Christmas stitching. Good for you for taking a break during this busy time of year!

julia said...

You have been so busy. I'm glad you were able to take a day to work on things you wanted to do.

Gigi's Thimble said...

Your runner looks like it will be so pretty. That line of fabric (can't remember what it's called) is so cute!

P.S. I don't think you'll regret getting that Stop, Drop & Roll book for Christmas. It's really fun!

julia said...

Have a Very Merry Christmas!!!!

Mylene said...

You sure been busy and such different projects on the go. It should inspire me to search my quilting projects or hardanger ones but it seems i am stuck to cross stitching.

A very Merry Christmas to you and your family!