Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Am I Crazy?

Last weekend I attended Meet the Teachers at one of the quilt shops in the area. I signed up for their $5 quilt which is comprised of pieced and applique blocks. I also signed up for Stitchers Garden. It's also a BOM but there is a class for each months block. It's being used as a class that will teach us more about our machine and what it can do. As a new machine owner, I felt it would be a perfect way to stretch within the comfort of a class. I'm taking a beginning fusible applique class beforehand as I've only done a tiny bit of applique. Then someone in the group decided to let the shop owners show her quilt from last years BOM which was applique. Isn't this just gorgeous? One day I'm going to do something like that!
In the meantime, I'm still struggling a bit with the precision part of piecing. I had no problems with my Bargello quilt - it came out the size it was supposed to. But the blocks with a lot of smaller blocks within them are difficult for me to get the required size. This one is the right size (finally!) but is off centered. This is the part where I think I'm crazy for signing up for 2 BOMs. What am I thinking? How am I ever going to put together my Fat Quater Shop BOM that I joined last year and haven't started? No extra fabric if I mess it up!

Any tips, etc would be greatly appreciated. Believe it or not, sometimes blogger tips run through my mind when I'm sewing. It helps a lot!
Many of you asked about the cutting table for my sewing room that I showed a picture of in my prior post. Can you believe it's a kitchen island from Ikea? It height adjusts just a little bit and I'm not having any back problems with cutting fabric anymore! I really wanted it but didn't want to spend the money. Greg, fabulous husband that he is, insisted that I get it because he knew how much I wanted it but would end up with something else. Who could refuse?

19 comments:

Gigi's Thimble said...

Jackie,

Thanks for the moral support on starting the quilting for my wagon wheel quilt!

I think your block is beautiful and can't tell that it's off center. I've had that problem before with BOM's and kind of gave up so I might not be the best one to give advice. I guess if it's still not working out, maybe I would ask the people in charge for advice? Your sewing room looks awesome by the way. Yay for you!

Unknown said...

the block looks fine to me....

Pat said...

Here is some advice I think will help. When you are making a block that has a lot of pieces (which equals a lot of seams within the block), you should sew a SCANT quarter-inch seam and not a full quarter-inch seam. This should give you just the teeny tiny bit "extra" for each seam you sew that will allow your block to come out the right size. USUALLY that works....ask me how I know!!! (I used to have the same problem but the scant quarter-inch seams worked for me!)

Beth said...

Oh my goodness, all that piecing...I think it looks GREAT! My biggest issue is keeping track of all those little pieces.

Good luck with the applique!

Anonymous said...

Good for you!!! You'll learn so much. And the Fat Quarter Shop BOM, go for it. There are always fabrics left on ebay if nothing else. Or you just ask around. Quilters are generous. They'll usually share. And I think your block looks perfect!

Margaret said...

You're not crazy!! Go for it! I bet you'll do fine with the BOMs and all.

That's so cool about your cutting table being an island from IKEA! What a great idea! Now if only I had space for such a thing. lol!

audrey said...

My best tip is to test your seam allowances on scraps every so often while working on a project. Sometimes the needle gets bumped out of position or it slowly works it's way back to where it normally sits. I always have to nudge my needle to the right because it sits mainly to the left.

Every one sews and presses a little differently, unless you're grossly off then it's generally not a big deal. It all comes with practice and patience!

Bonnie said...

I know exactly what you mean about the precision! I thought I had it all figured out but then it was off again. All I can say is keep trying. Try as many different tricks and techniques as you can find until you're consistant. That's what I plan on doing.

I love the block you show and I can't tell it's off either. I look at it this way, all the quilters in days past just did it. They didn't have all the gadgets we do and they made beautiful quilts. So can we!

Your husband sounds like a keeper! ;)

Feisty Irish Wench said...

certifiably

Jean in Georgia said...

Everything sounds perfectly normal to me...

Vicki H. said...

It took me a long time to measure 1/4" on my machine and sew just inside it. Then, I learned to square up each square component before joining together. Can't wait to see your BOM's!!

Micki said...

Your blocks are lovely! I just adore that applique quilt that you showed. It is spectacular!
Micki

woolwoman said...

Jackie I am so happy for you on all your upcoming projects and adventures in quilting. I will have to live vicariously thru you - I don't blame you for aspiring to do that gorgeous applique quilt that the CS owner did. Lovely work - I'm sure you will perfect your method - I think we are always harder on our own work - Mel

Teresa said...

I think your block looks great - and speaking of great looking, that sewing room of yours is wonderful!

Anonymous said...

Your block looks perfect to me. I love the fabrics. I would love to make an applique quilt also. The BOM classes sound like so much fun. I think I should have bought a smaller machine so I could do something like that too.

julia said...

I wish my husband was a little more supportive of my sewing. He is always impressed, or seems to be, by what I make, but he doesn't like for me to spend time or money on it.

Siobhán said...

Jackie, wow! I love that block that you did--it's gorgeous! And the applique quilt... I'm drooling. I would love to be better at applique.

I don't have any tips to offer about precision, other than practice practice practice. Helpful huh? LOL I found that my blocks worked out when I did the scant seam allowance thing, and used a walking foot while piecing. I always used my walking foot, actually.

Brigitte said...

This quilt looks absolutely reat and I wish I were able to make such a quilt. I could only do it when taking a class, I think.
The block looks fine to me.

Micki said...

I am a member of Goodreads...It is great fun!
Micki