Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Hodge Podge

This post has a little bit of everything in it. I apologize in advance for the pictures - it wasn't a good day for natural light at the hour I had my camera out.

Here is my latest Stitchers Garden block. Not my favorite of the bunch. I was supposed to use the fringe foot and sew in some fringe into the center of the flower heads. I'm not a fringe kind of girl so I omitted it.
<span class=
After finishing the Age of Brass and Steam I started another shawl. This is yarn purchased at Stitches South 2010 along with a pattern I found there as well. This is only the 2nd project I've used my Stitches South purchases for. I think I bought 19 skeins of yarn. Not a good success rate! This shawl is on my goal list for the year. I'm not sure I'll end up giving it to my mom as planned. I'm using a lighter weight yarn and it may end up being neckerchief sized.
<span class=
I like the short color pattern in the yarn. Hopefully you can see it below. It's just a couple of inches before you transition into another color. I'm not a fan of color pooling like you get with longer sections of color.
<span class=
I was so very pleasantly surprised yesterday when a box came in the mail for me. I knew I had not ordered anything. I saw the name and I kind of started getting a feeling that I knew what it was. Sharon at Daffycat is doing a random RAK and she picked me this month!!! Is this little guy adorable? If you're not familiar with Sharon, not only is she a bea-u-tiful stitcher, she is an amazing finisher. I didn't get a good picture of the pins but she made those as well. Thank you Sharon! I'm still smiling!
<span class=
I just realized that I never thanked Tonya for sending me this bag. I saw her video on installing a zipper in a coin purse. She can crank these things out in minutes - about 10 to be exact. I'm not sure I could get a needle threaded in that time. Tonya sent me one and it's beautifully stitched. Thank you Tonya!
<span class=
I forgot to get a picture of my stitching project. I'm thinking of starting another project - a big one. We'll see if that happens before I talk about it. You know how quickly things can change!

I hope everyone is having a good week. Happy Stitches to you all!

25 comments:

krayolakris said...

Good to see you back on your blog! Pretty yarn!!

FlourishingPalms said...

It's nice to see your hodge-podge, Jackie! I always like to see different things on the go. It's perfect to have a couple - or more - project to work on when you're in a certain mood, or going to a place where it's appropriate for stitching a certain something... so that's an endorsement about starting your newest stitching project. You can ALWAYS work on what you want when you're at home, accessible to your sewing machine.

Doesn't all my utterly practical advice work for you?!

Patty C. said...

Lovely gift from Sharon
& the coin purse is darling :)

Lois said...

And what a nice hodge podge it is! What nice gifts, love the colours in the wool and a lovely quilt block.

Simone de Klerk said...

Fun post, with lovely projects!
I agree with you that a short color pattern is much prettier. DMC threads for stitchery can sometimes have very long sections. For stitchery thread I think that is even worse than for yarn.
Great presents for you.
And such a fun way to have giveaways!
Have a lovely week, Jackie! xo

Annie said...

Your block is so pretty. Doesn't need any added fringe.

Love that blue green variegated yarn. That certainly should solve the pooling problem.

Lucky you to get such great stitchy gifts! Enjoy!

Margaret said...

Love your quilt block! I'm not a fringe person either. lol! I also agree with your yarn color repeat. Hadn't even thought about the color pooling like that. I tend to avoid multicolored yarns -- for that reason. Nice bag you received too! And the Daffycat RAK! Lucky you!

Carol said...

Your new shawl has such pretty colors, Jackie--whoever ends up with it will be very happy! And what nice gifts from Daffycat and Tonya--that little zippered coin purse is adorable. Not sure if I could put in a zipper like that even after a lot of practice :)

Sally said...

The colours in that wool are beautiful and it's knitting up so nicely. Lovely quilt block too.

What gorgeous gifts from Sharon and Tonya :)

Tammy said...

Your block is beautiful. And your gifts are gorgeous as well. Love the yarn for your shawl, it's going to be really pretty when done.

Anonymous said...

The little bunny is adorable and I'm in love with those beaded pins.

Sharon is such a sweetheart!

Deb said...

I love blogs with a lot of different things in them. I like your quilt block and have to agree with you on the fringe - I don't like it much either and your block looks fine the way it is. Great new knitting project and at least you're using a little bit of the yarn you bought!

Jen said...

Funny, I've been in a little hodge podge mood lately too! I like the quilt block, simple and clean! I haven't been knitting as much, but I love your shawl and it makes me get the itch to cast on for a new shawl...off I go to stash dive! Cheers!

Poussy Stitches My Love said...

oh j'adore les couleurs ! le patch est merveilleux !
bonne journée à vous
marylin
France

Melanie said...

Ooo, pretty yarn!! *pets*

Robin (RsIslandCrafts) said...

Quilting, knitting, cross stitch, and sewing...yup a hodge podge of crafts lol.

Everything looks great! I love when surprises show up in the mail.

Littlebit said...

Hey Jackie! Your quilt blocks are always pretty! And I love the little bag. I really need to put in some time at the machine..but between work, the yards, and stitching and reading, I've not had a lot of time for blogging or sewing..

valerie said...

Cute gifts! Love the pincushion and zipper bag.

Cool yarn!

Daffycat said...

I'm so happy you like my RAK! Enjoy!

mdgtjulie said...

Everything looks great. I especially love the colors in your shawl! It's beautiful. I love variegated colors too, so that really speaks to me!

Siobhán said...

I think you've covered everything in that post! ;) Beautiful everything! Love the gift from Sharon, too.

Nancy said...

I really like your latest quilt block, and I think it looks just perfect without the fringe. The yarn you're using for the shawl is gorgeous! Wonderful colors. And, didn't you receive some wonderful gifts in the mail! I love your RAK gift from Sharon.

Mylene said...

Your quilt block looks lovely and beautiful colour of the new shawl.

Great gifts received from Sharon and Tonya!

Berit said...

Great stuff here! Love your Brass & Steam and also the new start. I've just pieced my first quilt and am stuck at the "quilting bit, lol! I need to buy a darning foot, I realized, lol!

Abby and Stephanie said...

Love the circle flowers on your block. Gorgeous yarn. I admire knitters.